Goal: To encourage improvement of the Main Street district’s physical appearance.
Projects in recent years:
- City acquired properties support through volunteer help
- Promote design assistance from Main Street Iowa staff
- Building facade mini-grant program for up to $500.
- Promote design guidelines for Jefferson approved by the City.
- Order, design and plant seasonal hanging baskets & pillar planters.
- Coordinated City’s purchase of 8 sets of cluster planters in 2019.
- Seasonal banners for downtown.
- Host Business After Hours events on Design topics.
- New city brand and way-finding signage project.
- Volunteer work sessions for painting.
- Empty Window Displays.
- City Hall interior improvements in 2018.
- New Christmas decoration suggestions for City for Christmas 2019.
- Coordinated volunteers for Available Building Tour in April 2019
- Doc’s Alley project
- Iowa State University’s College of Design Retail-Scapes Studio partnership
- Grants from Paint Iowa Beautiful used for projects.
This committee meets every month with members taking on responsibilities for these projects.
- Why repoint
- Repointing Right
- Short Course on Historic Mortar OHJ
- Repointing of Historic Masonry
- Mortar Mixes
- Masonry – Blasted – Now What
- Windows that Meet the Standards
- Window Replacement Documentation
- Historic Window Tip Sheet
- Window Energy Analysis by Bob Yapp
- Window Restoration Costs by Bob Yapp
- A Short Primer on Restoring Wood Windows